Monday, February 4, 2013

Vision

I took a photo of Devin's trombone at Solo Fest on Saturday, because I had a vision. I knew we had a certain day ahead, and in my mind I was composing a PicStitch photo. I'd include a long shot of the 'bone, and, naturally, a blurred shot of Gwynn's basketball game. Then, I figured I'd include, alongside, a shot of our lunch at one of our favorite family watering holes, "Parker's Pub," be it Auburn or Newark, two of our "pass through towns." Their food and drink is notable and deserved a space. Yep, even before we got going in our day, I knew how I wanted to document, and that long instrument was just what I needed to fit the visual space. How odd of me to think they way, I know, but I certainly can see it as an exercise in self preservation as well. I am someone who likes a plan, and our family life these days demands far less in terms of long term vision, and far more in the way of skill in making moments out of molehills. In other words, lately, our vision seems to be day by day. Like driving at night, where even if we can only see a bit in front of us at a time, amazingly, it seems we can make the whole trip that way. It is a bit to get used to for a planner like me, but I am finding my way. My vision.

Today, Monday, is snow day two. Friday, ever so happily, we had off, due to snow. Then the PicStitched weekend was great, and busy, and not interrupted by nuisance snow at all. Monday, we woke to a blessed blanket, and it has not stopped all day long. We have accumulated, easily, a foot of snow. If you look out the window, at times, vision is obscured. The trees drip with snow. The bay seems not even to be there. At times I can't see our neighbors homes. But it doesn't matter. We are cozy, and home. There is a candle burning, and music playing, and time to read and write and rest and create and dream and think. I take it in. I am not worrying ahead, or thinking ahead, or planning ahead. I am here. Now. Under a peaceful blanket of snow, and my vision is perfectly clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment