Friday, August 29, 2014

Ripping off the Band-Aid



     Maybe you could call it ripping off the band-aid phenomenon, but I've done 2 things I've been dreading, over the past two days, and upon further examination, I've realized that both things, dreaded as they may have been, actually made me happier. Is it akin to the dread of pulling off the band-aid paling to the relief of uncovered fresh skin? Perhaps.

     Now, I'm a teacher. I know all about school supplies, probably far more than the average person, and certainly more than I care to admit to. I truly get a rush over fresh pens, pencils, and crayons. I love a good office supply store, and, even if it dates me, I must express my continued sadness over Paper Cutter going out of business. Still, every summer, without fail, my own children remain school supply less until the last possible moment. Financially, that may be a hit, or a miss, who knows. But psychologically I can tell you exactly why it happens. It's the band-aid that must be ripped off. Buying school supplies signals the end to the bliss of summer, and also, particularly as my kids get older, the end to their time with us. Buying supplies signifies that they truly are not who they were before, and it is time to accept who they are about to become; this year 8th and 11th graders, which I am loving, but also finding hard to believe.

     Well, to continue the story, yesterday was our last day of summer vacation at home, as we always spend Labor Day Weekend at our camp. It was time to get the school supplies, and I was not feeling it. Still, Devin, Gwynn, and I hopped in the van, Devin drove, and between talk, and time, and distance, my mood lightened. We bought supplies, were really happy with what we found, got some new clothes, and sneakers, and just had a really nice day. We all commented on how pleasant it was. The ripping of the band-aid proved wise.

     Alas, though, after a running full day, and with Tim not making it home from his Superintendent's Day and Mod Football practice until close to 7, it was clear we were not making it up to camp last night. So we made a plan; BBQ and a movie last night, early to bed, and early to rise the next day to get up to camp. Early. Ugh. I could sense another band-aid moment. And today the alarm was not my friend, and I grumped and grumbled because going back to getting up early is another of my hated things about the transition back to school. But I'll tell ya, again, the band-aid approach, and a vat of coffee coffee coffee,  seems to have worked. I got up/got going/ripped it off, and am now here, enjoying a stunningly beautiful day of water, blue skies, and sunshine.

     Yep, change. Transition. It's tough, for everyone. It's tough for me. But it seems these two incidents these past two days, if I allow them, have been poised to teach me that I can handle change. I can handle transition. I can rip off the band-aid, do the dreaded thing, get back to the routine and occasional grind of the new school year, and I will, as usual, survive. Perhaps, if I let myself, I will even thrive.  

     So, for now, it's off to enjoy summer, at least for a few days. Then, come Tuesday, the band-aid comes off, but I think I am, really, ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment