Saturday, February 18, 2012



Feeling listy today...February break has just begun and it was SO needed. Today, Devin had a bowling tournament...varsity bowling team, yep, that's how we roll here...and so he was off in Rochester, Tim was working on the house, and Gwynn and I got to go to lunch and shop.

1. I feel so lucky to have a girl who likes to play with her mom. Lunch was fun. Shopping too. Then, tonight as I cooked dinner, she was alongside me, baking a dessert.

2. Got a new book today...French Lessons by Ellen Sussman. I was re-reading French Women Don't Get Fat yesterday...goodness knows why. Inspiration to do SOMETHING to take off the 5-8 pounds that have been hanging around since summer? Who knows. But again, it points to my French thing...going back to the travel poster on the back of my childhood bedroom.

3. Tonight, planning to watch some "Downtown Abbey" with Tim , streaming on Netflix. OK, Francophile obsessions paired with BBC drama? Maybe I am just on a European bent.

4. I never cook small anymore. You should SEE the tuna noodle casserole I have in the oven right now. It will be hard to pare down when we don't have kids at home anymore. Or will it? We got to reminiscing, over a great dinner this past week, about meals we used to cook when we were first together, without kids. We made this great egg bread. We made this yummy Bisquick Spinach casserole. We made a lot of Tuna Helper. Maybe what I made tonight is just the "I know how to make it homemade and healthy for my kids" phase of this, born of the necessity to feed a hungry almost 14 year old boy. It is also the economical phase of things I guess...quantity over quality? Perhaps the eventual evolution will be individual seered tuna steaks and a noodle side when it is just cookin' 4 two! Then again, we will be paying for college...

5. What is ahead for this week? Who knows, who cares. But I have a new book, some good food, wine and beer and yummy mixed drink options at the ready. We have some family stuff on the docket, some kid free time planned, a possible outing with friends, and show tickets for next Sunday. Les Miserables. ACK! LOOK! The FRENCH thing again!

Whatever it all ends up being, it is February Break. The break with NO holiday attached. The break just for breaks sake.
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment