Saturday, August 10, 2013

Deep Summer

Here it is vacation, and I am having the hardest time today just trying to SLOW DOWN and do NOTHING.

We have been moving through summer, so far, at such a breakneck speed. And it seems like today, on one of our few days where we are "just home," I keep finding myself jumping up, thinking I ought to do something. I am looking around for Devin, even though I know he is off at the Renaissance Faire with his buddy. I am jumpy, pit of the stomach worried that there is something I am forgetting and there just is not. Probably a lot of this stress is the after effect of a full work week last week. Whatever is causing it, I need to get a grip. I need to say a mantra. I need to remind myself that we're all caught up.

All is done, all is well.

We've arrived at August. The dog days of summer as some might say. For us it is our anniversary month. Our time.

Deep summer. Yes. I prefer to think about it that way.

Around this time people start moving towards back to school, but around this time I usually feel like we are just hitting our summer stride. This year in particular. We've had a lot go on so far, but there is still much ahead. As we head into our family trip to Rhode Island and Connecticut next week, I want an agenda but I want it fluid. I want a list of places to go and things to do, but I want to progress through it organically, doing what strikes us along the way, perhaps not checking everything off and leaving ourselves wanting more in the form of a return trip at another time. I want to see the sights, feel the vibe, taste the ocean, in its natural form, and processed on a lobster roll.

I want to book our necessarily postponed anniversary trip, but only the hotel, again allowing us to explore the possibilities of our destination once we get there.

I want to savor the journey.
I want to drink in some summer sunshine.

It is certain that Fall will come in its flurry of busyness, but for now, I want to slow it down.

Welcome, my dear friend.
Welcome, deep summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment