Friday, August 30, 2013

Last Bits

Amen to squeezing out the last bits; of soap, toothpaste, condiments, or in our case this year, summer.

Being a two teacher family we have the rare luxury of a a whole family with a full summer off each year, and each year we revel in it, typically having several big events spread throughout. This year, though, life had other plans, and I almost allowed it to get me. But, it seems, I am good with the last bits. Have leftover food you need used up, I am your girl, at the ready spatula in hand. Have an old wardrobe staple the you just can't part with, I'll jazz it up with a new scarf or some fun earrings. Probably much of this is because necessity is the mother of invention, and lets face it, what teachers have in time, we do not have in dollars, but I'll take that time any day!

If we're being honest, we're pretty good with time around these parts too. We have packed more into our August than I would have expected to be able to, hence the NEED to write today before we jet off to camp, and return to our September. As I look back at the August calendar not more than two days are blank, and it was great! There were friends, and family events, and of course summer travel! In two weeks time we took in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York City. Even for a girl who adores travel, that is a lot, and I can truly say that fall, and staying put for a bit, are the focus right now. Usually at the end of summer I am still wanting for more, but this year, I am just happy to squeeze out the last bits.

So for lunch today I wilt on the porch, enjoying a wrap and a beer. The wrap is made with some turkey and cheese that needed to be used up. It is topped off with our homemade salsa from last night, crafted with the last bits of our "garden" offerings. The leftover salsa was augmented too, with the last bits of leftover corn, cut off the cob.

Yep, just a summery lunch on the porch, but again it seems, I am reminded that all I have is all I need, and to reimagine what is already in front of me is the best exercise in creativity that I could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment