Friday, June 1, 2012


Positivity...

I just was driving down the road and that word, if it is even a word, popped into my head. In light of all that has been going on lately, I began to reflect on how that word IS me. I am a positive person. I mean, yes, I complain about life in general, about my job, and I have my down times, but really, no matter what life throws at me, I see the good side, or at least the OK side, or at least the "we can handle it" side, and we always do, and that, in a nutshell, is me.

Who knew.

You get a these moments of clarity here and there. As Alanis sang to us, you live, you learn.

What prompted this reflection? Well, along with the thrill of Devin's knee injury, and navigating that as of late, today Tim woke me up with "Honey, you'll need to shower downstairs. The upstairs shower is cracked." He was trying to say this in the nicest way possible, gently stroking my arm, knowing I am NOT a morning girl and was likely to blow, like he already was, inside. But I woke up, digested the news, groggily, and responded with "Well, it has been on its last legs since we moved in, guess it finally decided it was done." Seeing my calm, Tim realized that he could safely complain and lament the "not fair" nature of the whole thing, the "it's always something" story, the "if only it could have held off for a month until school is out and we have some money" irony. One is calm, one is not, yin and yang. It is why and how we work.

Still, it comes down to the fact that the shower was a piece of crap anyways. Time to fix it. Time to move on.

In life, it really is always something. It feels like we've had our share of somethings lately. They could move on to someone, somewhere else, and I'd be just fine with that. But if they don't, I still choose positivity. Look at the problem, and see it with new eyes. See the silver lining, as the cliche urges. Be in the now, and make the situation work. I have always tried to be like this, like Oprah always said, you have to have gratitude, keep the journal. I even downloaded an app for that now that I have a smartphone. Still, each and every time I try that, I fail. I forget to record, daily, all that I have that is good. I forget to put on paper the things that are going well for me, and to give thanks. But still, each and every day, no matter what faces me, I am a person who has positivity. I do see beauty, and happiness, all around me. I feel love beyond love from my family, every day...every moment. I don't always write it down, but boy do I know it is there. I revel in the beauty of our lake, each and every time I drive by it, or get out of my car and see the blue water, even if it is over a marina. I cherish my cozy little house, even as it falls apart around me, as it is home. I hear good music and I smile. I hear laughter and I laugh along.

I hit a rough patch, and instead of crying, I ponder.
I brainstorm. I dream and strategize.
I do see the good. I guess I am a positive person.

Positivity..don't care if it is word or not...it popped into my head this morning on the boring, yet full of beauty 8 minute drive up to school for a reason. And even for that word, I am thankful. Now, off to work, and to tackle the next thing life is going to throw my way.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment